Benefits of Joining
The Illinois College of Emergency Physicians is the state medical specialty society representing more than 1,340 emergency physicians across the state. As the state chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians, ICEP works to support quality emergency care and represent the unique perspective of emergency medicine.
|To apply for ICEP/ACEP membership, or for more membership information, visit ACEP online at www.acep.org or call Member Services at 800-798-1822, ext. 5.|
In addition to actively promoting your interests as an emergency physician, you will receive a broad range of services and benefits from ICEP, including:
Information. ICEP produces a bimonthly publication called the Illinois EPIC, which publishes state emergency medicine news, feature articles, research, chapter news and professional opportunity listings. ICEP also publishes the Illinois Emergency Department Directory, a resource containing contact information, statistics, and a comprehensive list of resources for every emergency department in the state.
Education. ICEP is a leader in emergency medicine. As a member, you’ll receive discounted rates for all chapter-sponsored programs. ICEP also promotes research. With an active research committee, the chapter sponsors scientific paper and poster competitions.
Advocacy. ICEP represents your interests in state legislative arenas and with a wide range of health organizations. ICEP is represented in Springfield by the lobbying firm Illinois Strategies, which tracks all emergency medicine-related state legislation, assists ICEP in developing strategies for action, and advocates ICEP’s positions with members of the Illinois General Assembly and Administration.
Practice Resources. You’ll receive information and support in areas that directly affect your success, including practice management, emergency medical services, reimbursement and physician recruitment.
Information on ACEP membership benefits is also available. See ACEP online at www.acep.org.
For Illinois residents, the following membership categories are available:
Active membership is available to licensed physicians who devote a significant portion of their time to emergency medicine and who maintain a prescribed level of continuing medical education.
Active members must also meet one of the following requirements:
- Satisfactory completion of an emergency medicine residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- Satisfactory completion of an emergency medicine subspecialty training program accredited by ACGME.
- Satisfactory completion of an emergency medicine residency training program accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Satisfactory completion of an emergency medicine residency program approved by an ACEP-recognized accrediting body in a foreign country.
- Certification by an emergency medicine certifying body recognized by ACEP. or
- Active membership in the College at any time prior to close of business December 31, 1999.
Annual dues of $964 include dual membership in ICEP and National ACEP. Dual membership is required.
Candidate membership is available to medical or osteopathic students, interns and physicians participating in emergency medicine residencies or fellowships. Candidate members are encouraged to join the Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association at the same time by completing the joint application for membership. Residents may join both ACEP and EMRA for a low annual combined dues:
- Medical Students: $85 annually ($55 national plus $30 chapter)
- Interns, Residents and physicians in fellowship programs: $135 annually ($105 national plus $30 chapter.
- Multiple -year membership rates are available for residents in their first year of a three-year program or in the first and second years of a four-year program. A two year discounted rate is available for medical students. Please call 800-798-1822, press 5, for more information.
ACEP dues are not deductible as charitable for income tax purposes. However they may be tax deductible as ordinary and necessary business expenses subject to restrictions imposed as a result of association lobbying activities. ACEP estimates the nondeductible portion of national dues to be 23%.
A $30 non-refundable fee must accompany each application for membership.
To apply for membership, or for more membership information, visit ACEP online at www.acep.org or call Member Services at 800-798-1822, ext. 5.