Emergency Medicine Update
Thursday, February 13, 2020
Jump Training Simulation and Education Center
ICEP’s winter CME program is a multifaceted educational program open to all levels of emergency care providers and provides a great opportunity to earn pediatric and trauma hours that help fulfill state licensing requirements.
On the 2020 agenda:
- Vaping Associated Lung Injury, presented by Joseph Leary, DO, with a focus on key history and exam features that point toward a diagnosis of vaping associated lung injury (VALI) as well as a discussion of the CDC’s interim guidelines for clinical evaluation, criteria for hospital admission, treatment, follow-up, reporting requirement, and high-risk groups.
- The Next Generation Chest Pain Evaluation Using High Sensitivity Troponin, presented by Ernest Wang, MD, FACEP, illustrating the limitations of chest pain evaluation using the HEART score and high sensitivity troponin, as well as discussion of the clinical scenarios that allow for safe discharge from the ED when high sensitivity troponin is used.
- Vaccine Preventable Illness, presented by Greg Podolej, MD, identifying key history and exam features that identify relevant vaccine preventable illnesses. This session will also discuss reporting requirements for the state of Illinois and describe quarantine requirements of relevant vaccine preventable illnesses.
- The Top 10 EM Articles from 2019, presented by John Hafner, MD, MPH, FACEP, reviewing key advances in EM practice from recent research.
- A virtual reality lunch seminar presented by Med Learning Group, focusing on the the role of emergency physicians in the management of immune-related adverse events in patients treated with immuno-oncology agents.
After the conclusion of the morning program, join ICEP in the afternoon in the sim lab for hands-on skills practice on simulated patients. Spend 90 minutes at each module and earn a maximum of 3 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Modules focus on pediatric trauma and pediatric sepsis. The cost of the Simulation Skills Lab is $99, and you may register for this program in addition to EM Update or attend separately.